Today, in this tutorial, I will show you on How to Reduce Photo Size on Computer,Mac and Android 2021 with a full step-by-step guide and with video also.
Each photo and image has a different file size and type. File types in the photo include JPG and JPEG. And the higher the resolution of the image, the larger the size.
Because the size of the photo is too large, it wastes storage space. So the solution is to compress the photo. This is so that the size that was too large before becomes smaller.
Not only does it save storage space, because now there are also many online records that require photographic documents. But unfortunately, there are certain limits to uploading these photos.
Meanwhile, the size of the photos we have sometimes exceeds the size limit set by your system. In the CPNS log, for example, your system has set a maximum size of 200 Kb JPG / JPEG for scanning photo documents, ID cards, and selfies.
Apart from these reasons, website owners also often compress photos or images. Because too large an image size can make the website load a bit slow.
For various reasons, it is necessary to reduce the size of photos and images. Here are some ways to reduce the size of a photo, whether online, on a computer, or on Android.
How to Reduce Photo Size on a Computer
There are several ways to reduce the size of a photo on a computer. Among the most common and used are Microsoft Paint and Adobe PhotoShop.
1. Microsoft Paint
If you are using a Windows OS device, then there is a built-in application that can be used to reduce the size of photos or JPG files, namely Microsoft Paint.
How do I compress a photo with Paint?
- After the painting opens, take a photo to be reduced by clicking File => Open => Select the photo to be reduced in size.
- Then click the resize button on the toolbar, see the arrow in the image below..
- After clicking the resize button, you will come across a display of the dimensions of the photo. You just need to change it to a smaller size as you like. After that, click OK.
- After the above process is complete, all you need to do is save it. To save, click File => Save As => JPEG Image.
- The photo resizing process is complete. It’s very easy, right?
2. Adobe Photoshop
The second method that can be used to reduce the size of an image on a computer is to use Adobe Photoshop.
Adobe Photoshop is a multifunctional program that can be used for various image editing purposes, including image compression.
Some people, or even many people, consider this complex program difficult and complicated to use.
But it’s not that complicated if it’s just about compressing images.
How do I reduce the size of an image using Adobe Photoshop?
- Open the Photoshop application and launch it first, then take the image that will be resized or compressed, i.e. click File => Open => Select the image to be shrinked on the computer, see the image.
- After entering the image, click on the file again, select Export, then select Save for Web.
- After clicking Save for Web, a popup with several options will appear. Focus on just three things: preset, quality, and image size. Look at the image below:
- In the above screenshot, first, make sure the preset used is “JPG Medium” and Medium Quality.
- Then adjust the dimensions to the image size as desired. For this tutorial, we’ve reduced the dimensions to 1920 x 1282. Once done, you can save them to a storage folder by clicking the “Save” button.
- If you want to see the estimated file size before saving the image. You can see the preview image, see the image below:
Yes, this method uses Adobe Photoshop CC 2019. If you are using Photoshop versions before CC 2015, after clicking on the File menu, you can find the Save for Web menu right away.
How to Reduce Photo Size on Mac
So guys, Here in this method, we will see how you can easily reduce photo size in Mac.
This is how you can easily and quickly change the size or resize your photo using a Mac. it doesn’t matter what type of Mac you have and it shouldn’t matter if you’ve updated your Mac or not but please update your Mac.
If you find out that this doesn’t work because it does work on all Macs. so you have a photo and it’s too large to email it’s too large to put on your website all of those things it’s very very simple on a Mac.
All you need to do is double-click on the photo, so I’m gonna use this photo of spaghetti that I just took.
- And I’m gonna double click on it if you’re using your mouse left click twice on it, and it should come up there’s a big bowl of spaghetti and some meatballs for you vegetarians out there I apologize.
- So now if you wanted to change the size of this just go to tools –>” left click or tap “on your trackpad and go to adjust the size.
- You have other options too you can adjust color and what not but for now, let’s just adjust the size.
Now, this is the width and the height in pixels if you find you’re in percentage it for me pixels are easier because the entire internet works more in pixels than percentages.
So if you see the percentage and just click once on here or left click with your mouse and go to pixels so 4000 by 3000 and you can see here the size that’s very large you really don’t want any photo to be over 1 MB which is stands
So I know just from history that the width and height need to be roughly at around 800 or so here’s the good news if I change the width to 800, so it’s already highlighted I just start typing 800 it automatically changes the height.
So that’s fantastic now if you’re gonna put it on a website you generally want the photo to be around 600 but 800 will be fine too and you can resize if you’re not sure what I’m talking about don’t worry about it.
So all you need to do is if you want to send a photo to family and friends or upload one on your website then all you need to do.
You can see here that instead of it being 1.9 megabytes it’s 130(KB) kilobyte it takes a thousand kilobytes to equal one megabyte.
so this is really really really small and the percentage is going to go down to by almost 20% well it’s going to go down by 80% to end up with 20%.
Now here’s the thing that scares some people if I click OK.
People go oh that’s too small I don’t want the photo to be too small all the computer is doing is showing you how small it is in comparison to how large it was before and here’s how how how it’s actually going to look.
- So if you go to file and just save and I’m just that’s just by going moving your mouse up to the upper left-hand part of your screen clicking once on file then clicking once on save.
- Now it’s saved now just click the red dot on the photo and now double click to reopen it and you see oh wait it’s bigger so this is the true size of the photo now it doesn’t look any bit different than how it looked before.
But it’s a lot smaller in size and it’s a lot easier to send to friends and family and that’s the process to reduces the size of the photo in Mac.
How? Too to Reduce Photo Size on Mac easy, isn’t it? If it is still unclear, see the following video tutorial:
How to Reduce Photo Size on Android
Since everyone’s interests are different, then maybe you would be best suited for image reduction across Android. For any reason, you can reduce JPG files or images with the below apps:
1. Photo Compress & Resize
Android app to reduce JPG is Photo Compress & Resize. This app has two simple functions, which are reducing and crop JPG files.
In this app, there are two terms used, namely compression and resizing. In order not to misunderstand, we will explain it first.
In fact, the two terms are the same. The difference is only in processing the image dimensions. When you compress a JPG file, you are only reducing the file size, without reducing the image’s dimensions.
Meanwhile, resizing is changing the dimensions of the image and also changing the file size automatically. Some apps that compress JPG files also have automatic compression when used to resize.
Here’s how to reduce the image size using image compression and resizing:
- First, download the app from here.
- Choose compress or resize
- If you choose Compress, it will look like this:
You just need to select the file size and the image quality you want. In order not to change the image dimensions, please activate the “Maintain Resolution” slider.
If so, proceed by clicking the Start pressing button. The image compression process begins. The compressed files will be saved automatically.
As for the resize option, you can select and compress the image dimensions simultaneously.
It’s easy, right, please try and good luck.
2. Photo & Picture Resizer
Another application that can be used to reduce JPG files is Photo & Picture Resizer. Then how do you use it?
- Please download the app first from here.
- After the download completes, please open the application, click Select Image, and select the image to be reduced in size.
- Next, click on the button as shown below:
- After that, you can choose the dimensions of the image as shown on the application screen. But if you want to customize the size yourself, you can select the custom button and set the size yourself.
After determining the size with the required dimensions. The compressed image / JPG file will be saved automatically on the smartphone device.
How? Too easy, isn’t it? If it is still unclear, see the following video tutorial:
Well guys, Hopefully, the methods mentioned above can help you in the process of how to compress or reduce the size of the photo on Computer, Mac, and Android 2021, as you want.
Well, now it’s your turn to try. Hopefully, this article is useful, yes!
Also, read articles other interesting articles from Technodani.